The refinery and terminal facilities are currently leased to Petroleos de Venezuela S.A. until 2019. The refinery crude oil throughput is on average 210000 to 230000 barrels per day. The refining efficiency (actual performance compared to optimum performance) is around 98.0%.
The refinery crude oil processing consists of a general fuels train, a paraffinic luboil processing train and the naphthenic luboil processing train. The refinery typically processes Venezuelan crude oil but has the capability to process crudes from a variety of sources. The refinery currently employs around 1000 workers as direct employment in addition to approximately 400 indirect workers.
The refinery consists of the following plants.
• Crude Distillers 2 A/B and CD-3 for respectively heavy crude and light/medium crude
• High Vacuum Distillers HV-6/7 to produce distillates for the manufacture of naphthenic lubricating base oils
• High Vacuum Distiller HV-8 to produce distillates for the manufacture of paraffinic lubricating base oils for lubricants
• Feed Preparators 1&2 for producing distillates as feed for the Catalytic Cracking Unit
• Thermal Crackers TC-1/2 for converting High Vacuum residue into gas, gasoline, gasoil and fuel oil
• Catalytic Cracking Unit (CCU) to convert vacuum distillates into gas, gasoline, gasoil and fuel oil using a catalyst
• Platforming Unit (PFU) to convert naphtha from the crude distillers into a high grade gasoline component and hydrogen for the hydrotreating units
• Polymerization Unit (Poly Plant) to process propylene from the Cat Cracker into solvents
• Hydrofluoric Alkylation Unit (HF-Alky) to convert butylene from the Cat Cracker and iso butane into a high grade gasoline component
• Hydrogen Manufacturing (HMU) to produce hydrogen for the hydrotreaters
• Wet Avtur Treater (WAT) to remove naphthenic acids from kerosene (avtur)
• Naphtha Hydrotreater to remove sulphur and nitrogen components from naphtha
• Gasoil Hydrotreater to remove sulphur from gasoil
• Mild Hydrocracker (MHC) to remove sulphur from feed to the Cat Cracker
• M-DEA treaters to remove hydrogen sulphide from fuel gas
• M-DEA treaters to remove hydrogen sulphide, mercaptans and carbonylsulphide from propylene as feed to the Poly Plant
• Caustic Soda treater to remove hydrogen-sulphide, mercaptans and carbonylsulphide from butylene as feed to the HF-Alky
• Furfural Extraction Unit 1 (FEU-1) for removing aromatic compounds from distillates from the HV-8 to produce waxy raffinates
• Furfural Extraction Unit 2 (FEU-2) for removing aromatic compounds from distillates from the HV-6/7 to produce naphthenic lubricating base oils
• Low Viscosity Index Hydrofinisher (LVI-HF) to improve certain characteristics of naphthenic lubricating oils
• MEK Dewaxing Unit (MDU) for removing wax from waxy raffinates into paraffinic lubricating base oils
• Propane De-asphalting Unit (MDU) for separating asphalt and oil from a vacuum residue
• Sulphur Recovery Units (SRU) to convert hydrogen-sulphide into sulphur
• Sulphur Pelletizer to produce sulphur pellets from liquid sulphur
• Sour Water Stripper to free process water from undesired components
• Solid Waste Management Unit (SWMU) to separate oil from polluted soil
*See Glossary of terms
Shipping and Movement is the operational department that takes care of accepting and storing crude and feedstocks, supplying them to units in the refinery, and receiving products from plants, to be stored, and ship out to clients. Final products may be made by batch blending or inline mixing.